Cloakroom: November 4 – November 8
The House is in recess this week.
Analysis: This week, the Senate may consider the Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA), which would create special privileges based on sexual orientation and gender identity. The purported purpose of the legislation is to extend equality under the law to more individuals, but it would undermine civil liberties, increase government interference in the labor market, and trample on religious liberty.
Major Floor Action:
- S. 815 — The Employment Non-Discrimination Act
Major Committee Action:
- The Senate Armed Services Committee will hold a hearing entitled “Impact of Sequestration on National Defense.”
- The Senate Committee on Housing, Banking, and Urban Affairs will hold a hearing entitled “Housing Finance Reform: Protecting Small Lender Access to the Secondary Mortgage Market.”
- The Senate Committee on Housing, Banking, and Urban Affairs will hold a hearing entitled “Housing Finance Reform: Essential Elements to Provide Affordable Options for Housing.”
- The Senate Committee on Foreign Relations will hold a hearing on the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities.