WASHINGTON – Today, Heritage Action, a conservative grassroots organization with two million grassroots activists, released a statement from Executive Director Jessica Anderson following the consideration of S. 4132, the Democrats’ “Abortion for All” legislation.
Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer and Senate Democrats have made their position clear – they want unfettered access to abortion up to the point of birth. The most radical proposal put forth so far, going far beyond Roe, this legislation threatens the lives of millions of unborn babies and their mothers, erodes religious liberties, and violates the basic tenets of federalism.
Aside from the legislation being radically anti-life, it is a major political miscalculation for Chuck Schumer and the Democrats. The Left is failing on the economy, crime, the border, and education, so they are resorting to fearmongering, intimidation, and radical division for their own perceived political benefit. The bipartisan opposition to this legislation shows that this political stunt is ineffective and wildly out of touch with the views of the American people.
- Heritage Action previously key voted against this radical proposal in February, citing some of the legislation’s most egregious provisions, including those which would:
- Prohibit government entities from imposing any limitation or requirement that “expressly, effectively, implicitly, or as implemented singles out” and “impedes access to” abortion. However, even more troubling is that the proposal does not define what it means to “single out” abortion.
- Prevent states from protecting children from abortion based on their sex, race, or diagnosis of a genetic abnormality such as Down Syndrome.
- Endanger policies that protect rights of conscience and religious liberty.
- Prevent states from enacting policies that protect children from inhumane late-term abortion procedures.
The bill failed 49-51 with no Republican support and bipartisan opposition.