FAST FACTS: Higher education reform and opportunity (Hero) act
HERO Act (Higher education reform and opportunity act)
- “The Higher Education Reform and Opportunity Act would not only make the cost of higher education more affordable, but also make it easier for students to customize their own education and gain the specific skills they need to compete in today’s economy,” Senator Lee, January 9, 2014.
- Empowers states to develop their own accreditation systems to accredit colleges, individual courses within colleges, apprenticeship programs, and curricula.
- Any state-accredited educational institution, program, or course would then be eligible for federal funding such as student loans.
- Lindsey M. Burke and Stuart M. Butler, “Accreditation: Removing the Barrier to Higher Education Reform,” Backgrounder, September 21, 2012, http://www.heritage.org/research/reports/2012/09/ accreditation-removing-the-barrier-to-higher-education-reform?ac=1.
- Lindsey M. Burke, “Lee’s College Accreditation Legislation Could Drive Down College Costs,” The Foundry, January 10, 2014, http://blog.heritage.org/2014/01/10/
Please Share Your Thoughts