Cloakroom: May 21 – May 25
Senate Cloakroom: May 21 – May 25
Analysis: This week the Senate will consider the FDA User Fee Reauthorization. The Food and Drug Administration operates off of user fees paid by pharmaceutical manufacturers when they request approval of a product. There is general agreement on that model although Heritage would like to see some reforms to the process. The most controversial issue that may come up during the debate on this bill is allowing the importation of prescription drugs. Senator McCain (R-AZ) has introduced an amendment to permit that practice. Other issues that may come up in the Senate this week are student loan rates and sanctions on Iran.
Major Floor Action:
- S 3187 – FDA User Fee Reauthorization
Major Committee Action:
- The Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee will hold a hearing on the “Role of Government in Energy Innovation.”
- The Senate Banking, Housing and Urban Affairs Committee will hold a hearing on the “JP Morgan Chase Loss and Financial Regulation Oversight.”
- The Senate Select Intelligence Committee will hold a markup of the intelligence authorization bill.
- The Senate Foreign Relations Committee will hold a hearing on the Law of the Sea Treaty.
- The Senate Finance Committee will hold a hearing on “Progress in Health Care Delivery.”
- The Senate Banking, Housing and Urban Affairs Committee will hold a hearing on the Responsible Homeowner Refinancing Act of 2012.
The House will be in recess this week.