Cloakroom: November 7 – November 11
Senate Cloakroom: November 7 – November 11
Analysis: This week the Senate will take up the House passed bill that ends the 3% withholding on payments to vendors by the government. A Senate version of the bill was voted down recently in a procedural vote, but Sen. Reid (D-NV) has decided to bring up the House version and may amend it. Sen. Reid also may bring up the veterans portion of the President’s jobs bill this week. That section would provide a tax credit to businesses who hire unemployed veterans. The Senate could also move to the next “minibus” that includes that Energy and Water, Financial Services, and State/Foreign Operations Appropriations bills or resolutions of disapproval under the Congressional Review Act regarding the net neutrality and cross-border air pollution rules.
Major Floor Action:
- HR 674 – To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to repeal the imposition of 3 percent withholding on certain payments made to vendors by government entities, to modify the calculation of modified adjusted gross income for purposes of determining eligibility for certain healthcare-related programs, and for other purposes.
- The veterans tax credit section of the President’s jobs plan
- HR 2354 – Energy and Water Development and Related Agencies Appropriations Act (includes Financial Services and State/Foreign Operations appropriations bills)
- SJ Res 6 – A joint resolution disapproving the rule submitted by the Federal Communications Commission with respect to regulating the Internet and broadband industry practices.
- SJ Res 27 – A joint resolution disapproving a rule submitted by the Environmental Protection Agency relating to the mitigation by States of cross-border air pollution under the Clean Air Act.
Major Committee Action:
- The Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee will hold a hearing on the “Elementary and Secondary Education Reauthorization.”
- The Senate Energy and Natural Resources committee will hold a hearing on the “Market Developments and Outlook for Natural Gas Exports.”
- The Senate Environment and Public Works Committee will hold a hearing on the “Long-Term Surface Transportation Bill.”
- The Senate Homeland Security and Government Affairs Committee will hold a mark up of S 1789 – 21st Century Postal Service Act.
- The Senate Finance Committee will hold a hearing on the “Unemployment Insurance Review.”
The House is not in session this week.