The Cloakroom: February 7 – 11
The House returns from their district work period week to discuss a variety of issues. Deliberations will begin on the Continuing Resolution package under the guidelines that the House Budget Committee unveiled last week and what spending cuts will need to be made. Full and subcommittee hearing action will heat up through the middle of the week on issues such as unrest in Egypt and Lebanon, regulatory impact on jobs, Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac reform, US trade policy, and the general dismal economic outlook of the United States. The main votes on the floor will begin on Tuesday with consideration of a bill to extend expiring provisions of the USA PATRIOT Act. Further floor debate will begin Thursday on a House Resolution directing committees to inventory and review regulations effecting jobs and economic growth with a vote more than likely on Friday to close the week.
The Senate will continue to consider amendments to the FAA Reauthorization Bill this week, but will only be in session on Monday and Tuesday (the Democrats are holding their retreat during the later part of the week outside of Washington). They will convene at 2pm on Monday and have votes later in the evening on several judicial nominations. Multiple amendments have been filed to the FAA bill, but it is unclear which amendments will get floor consideration during the short work week.
Major House Floor Action:
- H.R. 514 – To extend expiring provisions of the USA PATRIOT Improvement and Reauthorization Act of 2005 and Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004
- H.R. (To Be Determined) – To secure the return to the United States the $179 million overpaid into the United Nations Tax Equalization Fund as of December 31, 2009, and for other purposes
- H.Res. (To Be Determined) – Directing certain standing committees to inventory and review existing, pending, and proposed regulations and orders from agencies of the Federal Government, particularly with respect to their effect on jobs and economic growth.
Major Senate Floor Action:
- S. 223: FAA Reauthorization Bill
Major House Committee Action:
- The House Ways & Means Subcommittee on Trade will hold a hearing on U.S. Trade Policy Issues.
- The House Oversight & Government Reform Committee will hold a full committee hearing on “Regulatory Impediments to Job Creation”. The Heritage Foundation’s James Gattuso will testify.
- The House Energy & Commerce Subcommittee on Energy and Power will hold a hearing on the “Energy and Tax Prevention Act of 2011”.
- The House Financial Services Subcommittee on Capital Markets and Government Sponsored Enterprises will hold a hearing on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac Overhaul.
- The House Foreign Affairs Committee will hold a full committee hearing on developments in Egypt and Lebanon.
Major Committee Action:
- The Senate Committee on Finance will hold an executive session to consider the Airport and Airway Trust Fund Reauthorization Act of 2011
Maggie Piggott contributed to this post, which was originally posted at The Foundry.