Fast Facts: EXPAND Act
Energy Exploration and Production to Achieve National Demand (EXPAND) Act
- Opens up access to leasing, exploration, and production in more areas in the Gulf of Mexico, the Atlantic and Pacific coasts, and the Alaskan Coastal Plain.
- Allows states to develop programs that satisfy applicable federal laws to produce energy on federal lands.
- Removes special tax breaks for all energy sources, including oil, gas, coal, and nuclear, which would spur energy technologies to be competitive.
- Repeals the ethanol mandate.
- Streamlines licensing and construction requirements for nuclear power plants and reforms the refinery permitting process.
Nick Loris, “10 Ways the EXPAND Act Would Take the Energy Market in the Right Direction,” Issue Brief, February 4, 2014, http://www.heritage.org/research/reports/2014/02/10-ways-the-expand-act-would-take-the-energy-market-in-the-right-direction.
You can read more about Heritage Action’s policy plan by downloading the Heritage and heritage Action book: “Opportunity for All and Favoritism to None”.