CTBT and LOST: Ban These Treaties
The Obama administration is quietly pushing the Senate to take up two treaties – the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty (CTBT) and the Law of the Sea Treaty (LOST). Neither will create jobs or get our economy moving (par for the course for the Obama administration) and both unilaterally weaken U.S. defenses.
- This treaty would make it more difficult for the U.S. to test and maintain its nuclear arsenal. Our current arsenal is a holdover from the Cold War, which ended two decades ago. With emerging technologies, we need to modernize our arsenal, which is substantially more difficult under CTBT.
- Liberals seem to believe we do not need these weapons and if we get rid of ours, every other country will gladly give up theirs. It all stems from a belief that the U.S. is what’s wrong with the world and every country that is hostile towards us is just retaliating against our wrongs.
- The U.S. has not tested a nuclear weapon since 1992, but we have reduced our weapons stockpile by 75%. However, Pakistan, India and North Korea are all testing their nuclear devices. China and Russia are modernizing their weapons.
- The treaty is too vague. It bans nuclear weapons testing but does not define what it considers a nuclear weapon. China and Russia would interpret that to allow low-yield tests, which could still allow them to develop new weapons, while the U.S. completely stops testing.
- This treaty creates a new U.N. bureaucracy which would limit America’s decision-making authority. Conflicts would be determined at proceedings dominated by anti-U.S. interests.
- This treaty would also transfer a huge percentage of our royalty revenues from our continental shelf resources to the developing world, meaning less money in our country and more money in the hands of corrupt and despotic regimes.
- We would be required to engage in dispute resolution for any claim brought against our country by another member of this treaty. This could open us to any number of baseless attacks and cost time and money defending ourselves.
The bottom line: ban these treaties!